the little bat
“I admire anyone who rids himself of an addiction.” – Gene Tierney
It’s so fascinating to me, all the various and sundry things in life that can be seen as an addiction. And even more curiously, many of them truly are beneficial and worthwhile – so perhaps better said, when you’re addicted to something that’s “good” for you, it’s more like a positive habit than something you may need to be cured of or separated from. And that’s a good thing my lovely friends, because when it comes to my Maitreya mesh body: Lara girl, I can’t quit you! ♥
We of the mesh body fascination and fandom are not alone! The magnificent LilDaria Resident from the Mesh Body Addicts blog realized a dream when the first round of her very own Mesh Body Addicts Fair kicked off yesterday, and it’s got a tremendous roster of designers lending their items and support! First, a sneak peek of some of the fabulous finds at the Fair, and then I have all the details and SLURLs you’ll need below!
Body / Maitreya | Mesh Body – Lara v3.4
* Skin / AlterEgo | Lana – Havana (Dark Brown) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
* Hair / Phoenix | Julia Hair – Dark Browns HUD
* Eyes / DS’ELLES | Prunelle Mesh Eyes – Marron 2
* Eyeshadow / SlackGirl | Honey Eyeshadow – 06 (8 colors in Slink Visage appliers + system tattoo layers) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
Lips / Pink Fuel | Glossy Pout Lipstick (50% Opacity) – Berry Smoothie
* Nails / ZOZ | Liquid Blue Nails (Maitreya, Slink & ZOZ Mesh appliers) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
* Piercing / PUNCH | Spiked Septum + Bridge Piercing | Suicide Dollz Event, through August 7th
* Bracelets / The Little Bat | Dragon Cuffs (for Maitreya & Slink Casual Hands) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
* Bodysuit / AviCandy | High Neck Lace Bodysuit – Blue (Maitreya, Belleza, Slink & Omega appliers + system clothing layers) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
* Shoes / ILLI | Celena Flower Boots (Maitreya, Belleza Venus & Slink Mid feet) | Mesh Body Addicts Fair, through August 21st
The Mesh Body Addicts Fair launched its very first round on August 1st and is open for your shopping delight through August 21st at 11pm SLT. It’s a quarterly event, and as the name suggests, the theme is heavily focused on items that are particularly designed with mesh bodies, body parts, and mesh heads in mind. While the emphasis is on both fitmesh and body-specific appliers, you will still find Standard Sizes and Omega Appliers in many of the designer’s offerings to help maximize the range and compatibility for all customers. The overall range of items is really impressive! You’ll find awesome items for both the fellas and the ladies, including full mesh bodies, clothing, footwear, accessories, cosmetics and tattoos, and more.
One more terrific thing to note is that there’s a MBAF-sponsored photo contest to try your hand at, and the prize is truly impressive: the winner receives a copy of both Even Mesh Bodies (Slim and Pulpy versions); an Eve’Olution mesh head, lingerie set and three dresses; and an additional L$10,000 worth of gift cards from participating designers! To enter, have a look at the poster below that explains the requirements, and upload your photo to the Mesh Body Addicts Fair Photo Contest Flickr pool for consideration. Best of luck to all! And to see a full list of sponsors and participating designers, please be sure to visit the Mesh Body Addicts Blog! ♥
Be you wizard, or witch, or a muggle too, have I got a mischievous treat for you: Wizarding Faire 2015 is here! Celebrating all things whimsical, wild and wonderful about the world of Harry Potter, the Wizarding Faire will dazzle you through July 25th with magic, mystery and merriment. And one thing’s for sure: you can “expecto” that this annual faire will be full to the brim with event-exclusives that are not to be missed!
Reading the Harry Potter books, I always resonated the most with the ideals of the Ravenclaw House, which valued wit, wisdom and intellect in its students. I suppose that’s a kind way of saying that it was decidedly the nerdy house, and that suits me just fine. As a “nerd”, I was endlessly curious about the world and fascinated with learning. As a “geek”, I became deeply passionate about things like music, gaming and metaphysics. One common thread that connects most nerds and geeks, their interests aside, is a level of intensity and focus. And that can be both tremendously beneficial, as well as cause for strife.
My lovely fellow SL blogger Leesee at Time and Lace wrote a thought-provoking post the other day sharing her frustrations as a Second Life fashion blogger, and both the original post and its ripples have sparked some really interesting and engaging conversation. As someone who’s been reading SL related blogs for years longer than I’ve been writing one, I’ve seen both the subtle and dramatic shifts that its taken, and I feel that we’re presently in a time where the relationship between designers and bloggers is wonderfully symbiotic and mutually-respectful. Usually. There are always outliers and those (from either side) who would make untoward demands or have unrealistic expectations. But by and large, there’s an appreciation there that grew organically over time and is wonderful to see.
Being an “official” or “dedicated” blogger for any brand or event will bring with it both benefits and requirements. That’s where my Ravenclaw tendencies begin to kick in and I feel surges of high motivation and passion, but with their shady counterparts of stress and overwhelment tagging along for the ride. On Monday, I slept for a significant portion of the day simply because I was exhausted from existing on 4 hours of sleep a night. It’s no one’s fault but my own: I take far too much time to compose photos, write posts, and all that goes with it. But therein lies the rub: I do it because I genuinely, passionately enjoy it. So how do you strike the right balance?
Sometimes I wish I could fly away from real life for a while and immerse myself fully in the virtual world. Dr. Phil featured a Second Life related segment on his show this week, in an episode about a young man who’s addicted to gaming and is experiencing the effect of real life deteriorating because of it. I didn’t see the episode, but I appreciate that it was emphasized that the games are not the issue, but rather the abuse of them. In like kind, there are those who would cheekily say that they’re “addicted” to Second Life, but in most cases it’s meant in a light-hearted way to express how much the virtual world means to them. I’ve been back in SL for less than three months and am absolutely rapt with the inspiration and motivation I’ve found there. I’ve made new friends, experienced new things, found new hobbies, and reinvigorated my creativity. It has been as a spark to a dormant flame; a wand-lighting charm when I needed it most.
Second Life, events like the Wizarding Faire, and the amazing creators whose designs I have the honor of blogging, have enriched my 1st life just as they’ve reignited my 2nd one. This blog has become so much more, been so much more meaningful to me, than I ever expected. Thank you all for taking this ride with me, and thank you to those who share your own journeys and passions in your own Second Life blogs. I could, and often do, spend hours reading your words, enjoying your photography, and marveling over your creativity.
So although it’s been a stressful week, and real life happenstances have gotten in the way of virtual world adventures, and I dearly wish that I had a Time Turner which would grant me many more hours in the day … I know that it all will pass. For in the wise words of one Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
Body / Maitreya | Mesh Body – Lara v3.4
* Skin / AlterEgo | Janae Honey – Smokin’ | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Hair / Blues | Luna (without wand) – Naturals 1 HUD | Wizarding Faire
* Eyes / UMEBOSHI | Glimmer Eyes – Mermaids (Chasm) | The Seasons Story, through July 31st
Lashes / Mon Cheri | Falsies Mesh Eylashes – Upper
Eyeliner / Glam Affair | Couture Eyeliner No. 02
* Lips / Nova Bodyshop | Viola Lipstick – 004 | FashionTropic Event, through July 30th
* Tattoo / White Widow | Insidious Tattoo | Wizarding Faire
* Nails / Dark Passions | House Pride (Maitreya & Slink appliers) | Wizarding Faire
* Glasses / PURR | Hipster Harry’s – Onyx (Rare) | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Piercing (Nose) / PUNCH | Clip-On Septum – Mira | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Piercing (Lip) / PUNCH | Dolphin Bites Piercing
* Necklace 1 / Nerdology | Owl Messenger Necklace – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Necklace 2 / ForeverFamous | Time Turner (Book) – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Ring / Nerdology | Seeker’s Dream Ring – House Pride | Wizarding Faire
* Dress / The Little Bat | House Dress – Eagle | Wizarding Faire
Shoes / KC Couture | Mina Heels for Maitreya Lara
Set, Props & Poses
* Set / Larkham & Co | Little Wizard Cottage | Wizarding Faire
* Pic 1 / KRAVE & Strike It | Fantasy Wand – Nokturn Brown + Pose | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Pic 2 / The Pose Shop | Nimblus2000 + Wand – Pose 6 | Wizarding Faire
The Wizarding Faire is open July 12th – 25th. Please visit the Mischief Managed website for more information about the sim and roleplay.