the pose shop
Be you wizard, or witch, or a muggle too, have I got a mischievous treat for you: Wizarding Faire 2015 is here! Celebrating all things whimsical, wild and wonderful about the world of Harry Potter, the Wizarding Faire will dazzle you through July 25th with magic, mystery and merriment. And one thing’s for sure: you can “expecto” that this annual faire will be full to the brim with event-exclusives that are not to be missed!
Reading the Harry Potter books, I always resonated the most with the ideals of the Ravenclaw House, which valued wit, wisdom and intellect in its students. I suppose that’s a kind way of saying that it was decidedly the nerdy house, and that suits me just fine. As a “nerd”, I was endlessly curious about the world and fascinated with learning. As a “geek”, I became deeply passionate about things like music, gaming and metaphysics. One common thread that connects most nerds and geeks, their interests aside, is a level of intensity and focus. And that can be both tremendously beneficial, as well as cause for strife.
My lovely fellow SL blogger Leesee at Time and Lace wrote a thought-provoking post the other day sharing her frustrations as a Second Life fashion blogger, and both the original post and its ripples have sparked some really interesting and engaging conversation. As someone who’s been reading SL related blogs for years longer than I’ve been writing one, I’ve seen both the subtle and dramatic shifts that its taken, and I feel that we’re presently in a time where the relationship between designers and bloggers is wonderfully symbiotic and mutually-respectful. Usually. There are always outliers and those (from either side) who would make untoward demands or have unrealistic expectations. But by and large, there’s an appreciation there that grew organically over time and is wonderful to see.
Being an “official” or “dedicated” blogger for any brand or event will bring with it both benefits and requirements. That’s where my Ravenclaw tendencies begin to kick in and I feel surges of high motivation and passion, but with their shady counterparts of stress and overwhelment tagging along for the ride. On Monday, I slept for a significant portion of the day simply because I was exhausted from existing on 4 hours of sleep a night. It’s no one’s fault but my own: I take far too much time to compose photos, write posts, and all that goes with it. But therein lies the rub: I do it because I genuinely, passionately enjoy it. So how do you strike the right balance?
Sometimes I wish I could fly away from real life for a while and immerse myself fully in the virtual world. Dr. Phil featured a Second Life related segment on his show this week, in an episode about a young man who’s addicted to gaming and is experiencing the effect of real life deteriorating because of it. I didn’t see the episode, but I appreciate that it was emphasized that the games are not the issue, but rather the abuse of them. In like kind, there are those who would cheekily say that they’re “addicted” to Second Life, but in most cases it’s meant in a light-hearted way to express how much the virtual world means to them. I’ve been back in SL for less than three months and am absolutely rapt with the inspiration and motivation I’ve found there. I’ve made new friends, experienced new things, found new hobbies, and reinvigorated my creativity. It has been as a spark to a dormant flame; a wand-lighting charm when I needed it most.
Second Life, events like the Wizarding Faire, and the amazing creators whose designs I have the honor of blogging, have enriched my 1st life just as they’ve reignited my 2nd one. This blog has become so much more, been so much more meaningful to me, than I ever expected. Thank you all for taking this ride with me, and thank you to those who share your own journeys and passions in your own Second Life blogs. I could, and often do, spend hours reading your words, enjoying your photography, and marveling over your creativity.
So although it’s been a stressful week, and real life happenstances have gotten in the way of virtual world adventures, and I dearly wish that I had a Time Turner which would grant me many more hours in the day … I know that it all will pass. For in the wise words of one Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
Body / Maitreya | Mesh Body – Lara v3.4
* Skin / AlterEgo | Janae Honey – Smokin’ | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Hair / Blues | Luna (without wand) – Naturals 1 HUD | Wizarding Faire
* Eyes / UMEBOSHI | Glimmer Eyes – Mermaids (Chasm) | The Seasons Story, through July 31st
Lashes / Mon Cheri | Falsies Mesh Eylashes – Upper
Eyeliner / Glam Affair | Couture Eyeliner No. 02
* Lips / Nova Bodyshop | Viola Lipstick – 004 | FashionTropic Event, through July 30th
* Tattoo / White Widow | Insidious Tattoo | Wizarding Faire
* Nails / Dark Passions | House Pride (Maitreya & Slink appliers) | Wizarding Faire
* Glasses / PURR | Hipster Harry’s – Onyx (Rare) | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Piercing (Nose) / PUNCH | Clip-On Septum – Mira | Gacha Item at Oh My Gacha, through July 31st
* Piercing (Lip) / PUNCH | Dolphin Bites Piercing
* Necklace 1 / Nerdology | Owl Messenger Necklace – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Necklace 2 / ForeverFamous | Time Turner (Book) – Gold | Wizarding Faire
* Ring / Nerdology | Seeker’s Dream Ring – House Pride | Wizarding Faire
* Dress / The Little Bat | House Dress – Eagle | Wizarding Faire
Shoes / KC Couture | Mina Heels for Maitreya Lara
Set, Props & Poses
* Set / Larkham & Co | Little Wizard Cottage | Wizarding Faire
* Pic 1 / KRAVE & Strike It | Fantasy Wand – Nokturn Brown + Pose | Gacha Item at Wizarding Faire
* Pic 2 / The Pose Shop | Nimblus2000 + Wand – Pose 6 | Wizarding Faire
The Wizarding Faire is open July 12th – 25th. Please visit the Mischief Managed website for more information about the sim and roleplay.